Alright, to catch everyone up...we are moving. I spent almost three months TDY (on temporary duty) to Maryland from Jan-Mar, came home and nose dived into this move.
In [t] minus 10 days we start our big move from one big state (Alaska) to one big country (Texas!). :)
Pros:
- Moving to Texas! We will spend the summer in San Antonio and transition to Del Rio in mid/late September. Del Rio is where we will live for the next three years.
- Can take the airplane with us. BUT we have to fly it because the Air Force won't move it.
- We are moving TOGETHER! This is huge because this marks our first official family move. Our last move was from Korea, I moved to Hawaii and Yeti moved to Alaska. (Then I moved from Hawaii to Alaska two years later, so I guess Korea wasn't my last move, but you get the point.)
- Get to see the "drive" from two perspectives - air (from flying the plane) and land (from the drive) - don't worry, so do you...that's kinda why we started the blog, remember?
- PERFECT time to finalize "the merger" we started when I moved here...yup, means I get to throw things away! Yeti is a HUGE packrat!!
- We get to see friends along the way. This is always fun!
Cons:
- Have to make two trips (1st one in the airplane, 2nd one in the truck)
- Have to pull a trailer AND canoe (the canoe was too long for the Air Force to ship it, thank you Air Force)
- Have to take time to actually clean! I hate to clean!
Hurdles:
- Making sure we are in our allotted weight allowance (17,000 lbs) so that we don't have to pay anything out of pocket. When I moved to Alaska, I had over 9,000 lbs all by myself. I think Yeti had about 11,000...those numbers don't add up to 17!
- Weather. Our runway is still covered in snow. The weather will have a HUGE impact on what route we take.
- Get rid of extra stuff!! We are having a garage sale this weekend...hopefully there will be a post entitled "garage sale, success!"
- Figure out what we are taking, and where. We are going to be at a school for the summer, so we won't see our stuff until Oct, at best. Whatever we take in the plane, trailer and truck need to get us by. So that makes five lists to track: 1.) goes in the trailer, 2.) goes in the airplane, 3.) goes with the movers, 4.) stays hidden away in the far end of our crawl space, 5.) TRASH!
Moves really are good. They make you slim down on what you own - there are so many things that we have that we don't ever use. Kinda makes us seem wasteful to just have things laying around. But then again, it's the things we have laying around that define us as people.
The movers start packing us up on Monday. Yeti is in an exercise all week, so that leaves me to manage it. All this means to me is that I won't have opposition when I am getting rid of something! ha!
We jumped our biggest hurdle yesterday by finally getting orders to move. This makes it official, so now I can talk more in detail about it...since it is a reality and not a fantasy anymore.
Yay for orders!
woohoo!! =)
ReplyDelete